All this happened before 10am
My friend Sara was slept over Friday night, because we were going to go to the Mermaid Parade on Saturday. Cool. We had a lazy evening of going to Trader Joe’s, watching TV and playing Scrabble against each other, on our phones, on the couch.
I woke up at about 6:30, took the dog for a walk. Got a text from my sister that she has taken up running, and can she come to my house. Strange, but okay. Sure. Warned her Sara was on my couch, fell back asleep.
I woke up at 9:45 to my mother’s phone call. Did I speak to my sister yet? No, she’s on her way. Oh, so she told you about Grandma?
Mom says that Grandma, who received a pacemaker last week was taken to the hospital at 6am because she had congestive heart failure. She says this, and then I hear a commotion in the living room. I hang up with mom, and my sister is in the living room, in a strange running outfit and a handbag. Poor Sara and the dog have been startled.
Marisa confirms about Grandma and tells me that she’s taken up running because she ate too many appetizers the night before. Why? Because she was upset. Why was she upset? Because she was hit by a car while crossing the street. She’s okay, but she had a nasty bruise from going up on the hood.
Okay. We all had a lovely day at the parade, injuries notwithstanding. Then I went with my sister to her friend’s house somewhere deep in Long Island. They invited Eva to come, because they have a giant back yard. YAY! I love getting to take Eva out. We get there, she takes a giant poop in their yard as a “hello” and then I toss a tennis ball around. She’s having a real blast. She never gets that much off-leash space.
I throw the ball for the fourth time. She runs to retrieve and … stops. And won’t put her foot back on the ground. She still hasn’t.
I live on the second floor of a walk-up.Me taking the dog up and down the stairs? Unpleasant for everyone.
I’ve packed her up and moved us to my mother’s ground floor apartment, and took her to the vet today. She most likely needs surgery. I’ll know more on Wednesday after an x-ray. Estimated cost? About 2k. And the recovery isn’t going to be pretty. Poor Eva.
Since May 1st:
- My dad had a serious heart attack and had bypass surgery
- My dad died
- My sister and I laid out over 10k for the funeral, plus all the other emergency travel expenses
- My grandma needed a pacemaker
- My grandma had a relapse of heart issues, is still in hospital
- I had a bad cold (yes, I’m counting this, because I missed two days of work at my new job)
- My sister got hit by a car
- Frank left for Iceland (sure, it’s expected and not tragic, but it still sucks)
- Had my first Father’s Day without my dad
- My dog is hurt and needs surgery
- My friend’s mom has cancer
- My close friend had some heartbreaking medical stuff
- Another close friend called off a wedding
- Some real life “angry birds” have taken next in my front yard and dive bomb me whenever I try to leave the house. Seriously – they make contact and attack me and my lame dog
I’m dangerous to know. Seriously. And I’m very, very, very tired.